Stirring of Echoes

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Magnolia

There was no story behind this. Rather, I had taken a liking to Paul Thomas Anderson's movie, "Magnolia" and I thought to myself, if Wordsworth could have written about Daffodils, why not I write one myself?
And in a strange way of putting things together, I had this notion in my head that went something like, "What if Morrie had seen a flower before he died?"
Morrie here was in reference to Professor Morrie from the book, "Tuesdays With Morrie" by Mitch Albom.
And thus, by combining three forceful mediums, a movie, a poem and a book, "The Magnolia" was conjured.

The Magnolia

Every dawn that passed, he would sit
by that very window, eyes fixated
on a magnolia adorning his neighbour’s desk.

He was marveled by the grandiose of the magnolia,
and how it stood erect, facing the ball of light
while his life passed it by.

The magnolia held in its own regard,
an earthly charm that made him ask
if this be the flower of heaven.

His last days were like a painting,
filled with sepia undertones and
the dreamy shades of the magnolia.

And when he died that cold damp morning,
the petals took off with the wind that blew.
The magnolia, now broken, spreads its pieces
on the very ground he was laid to rest.

© Mohamad Shaifulbahri

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home